Table of Contents Show
Decorating your house is no less than art. A sofa there, a dreamcatcher here– everything needs to be in place. So, if you have just entered a new house or want to redecorate it, you have come to the right place.
Decorating can be quite tricky. Add to this a long living room resembling a rectangle! You might be wondering, where do these problems end? However, this is the time to step up and take action. So, without further ado, read ahead.
1. Things to Consider for Decorating a Long Living Room
Knowing how to decorate a long living room is vital. Your living room constitutes a vital aspect of your house. This is where your flair for maintaining your house or decorating can be grasped. So, if you are considering decorating your living room, make sure to follow these steps.
There is no doubt that living rooms are where you welcome your guests. Thus, it is essential to decorate and maintain it properly. However, this decoration should align with your preferences.
For instance, if you’re an introvert with a small circle of friends, getting a U-shaped or L-shaped sofa would not be a good choice. Instead, you can go for other decorative items, such as fancy showpieces.
However, if you’re a family with small kids and dogs, say no to fancy showpieces and go for more durable ones!
2.2. Showcasing Your Style
To decorate any room in your house, ask yourself questions like, what is my vibe, and does my style align with it? For a better understanding, go through the following points.
- If you’re more of a traditional lover, make sure your room represents the same. Using warm colors and soft colors is the way to go!
- If you think your vibe is more modern, then go for modern living room decorations. This means using a mixture of black and white colors. Moreover, going for bold colors will be your forte!
- If you ooze warmth, you might want to go with rustic living room decoration. For this, use decorative wooden items, go for antiquities, and use neutral tones!
2.3. Furniture and Décor
No decoration is complete without furniture and décor pieces. However, simply filling the room with these will not do. If you have a small space, consider sofas that have storage facilities.
Similarly, go for décor that you can use to save space. A sleek bookshelf to portray your favorite classics will do the job. Moreover, keeping different sections carpeted will elevate the look of the living room!
2. How to Decorate a Long Living Room? Detailed Steps
You have an obnoxiously long living room. So now what? If you’re thinking of moving, stop! Long living rooms are not that bad. Yes, you heard that right! All you need is a fresh perspective. If you want your guests to praise your decorating skills, then go through the following 5 steps.
The first step to decorating is envisioning. If you lack the art of picturizing, then things might go downhill. So, the first step is to take a panoramic picture of your living room. This will make it easier for you to envision how to decorate your long living room!
2.2. A Two-in-One Room
Needless to say, long living rooms have more space to be experimented with. So, what do you do? Hoarding stuff in this space is not the answer! One way to go about it is to convert the space into another room. You could go for a two-in-one living and dining room.
Consider seeing it as two rooms. While a sofa set could adorn one corner, a dining table set could fit into another! So now, this is not simply a living room. It’s also a dining room! And all in one space!
2.3. Ramp Walk Space Is Necessary
Decorating a long living room often ends in disappointment. However, there will be no such thing here! Decorating the room with furniture and bookshelves is essential. But most importantly, you need space to walk.
Yes, that’s right! Setting your decorations close to the wall is the way to go. Thus, a straight pathway will be in sight. Make sure to adorn the furniture with beautiful carpets. This will make sure your guests know where to walk without bumping into the furniture.
2.4. No Empty Space in the Middle
Giving your guests some space to walk is necessary. Nevertheless, make sure you do not end up making the middle part of the room look odd. Simply decorating the corners and living out the middle would not do! Here’s how you can decorate the empty middle space:
- If you’re a fan of soft lights, place a designer lamp in the middle.
- As an avid reader, you can go with a small bookcase.
- If you love flowers, make sure to place a small vase on a table. The flowers will make a neutral-colored room pop
For more information, consult a professional!
2.5. Picking the Right Items
Knowing how to decorate a long living room doesn’t mean hoarding stuff in corners. The most important aspect includes picking the right furniture. Consider the following points to enhance your living room.
1. Sofa Set
The sofa set in your living room says a lot about your art of decorating. For instance, a long living room looks best with an L-shaped or U-shaped sofa set! These shapes help to take the focus away from the rectangular shape of the room. Furthermore, they give a good space to sit and walk simultaneously.
2. Furniture Color
Besides the shape of the furniture, make sure to go for the right color. If you’re worried about choosing the wrong color, go through the following points.
- Neutral tones never disappoint! If you’re stressing over the color of your furniture, remember that beige, ivory, or grey are your best friends.
- Want to showcase your love for mixing and matching? Go for a layered color scheme! A pop of color on the rug, the wall, or the sofas would do good.
- If you want to look for soothing colors, fret no more! You can choose green, blue, grey, beige, yellow, or brown. These colors ooze warmth and freshness!
3. Decorative Items
Picking up the right items is not limited to furniture. Along with your furniture, you should be mindful of the decorative items you choose. For instance, going for a large artwork would not do well for a small living room. So, if you have a long living room, consider the following.
- Carpets and Rugs: This goes without saying, but your living room isn’t complete without a carpet. Section a long living room with carpets. Make sure to go for tones that match the vibe of the room!
- Plants: Adding a pop of green amidst neutral tones is the best. Besides leaving the room feeling fresh and vibrant, plants also act as budget-friendly decorative items!
- Clock: If you don’t want your guests to feel like hostages, make sure to hang a clock on your wall! This will also help your long living room wall look good. With a plethora of designs in the market, select the one that fits your style perfectly.
- Scented Candles: If you’re a novice, you must know that scented candles are a game-changer! A beautifully styled room captures the attention of people. However, scented candles act as a cherry on top.
- Artwork: Having a long living room means more space on the walls. Do not make your walls seem empty. Along with a clock, make sure to get aesthetically pleasing artwork. However, do not crowd your wall, either!
3. What Is Your Decorative Style?
Buying items for your long living room is not a problem. Neither is arranging your furniture. Before making any life-changing decision, it is essential to find out your decorative style! Here’s how to find out your style.
3.1. Create a Mood Board
If you’re in a rut, go for a mood board! Search for your favorite items and take out the pictures. You can do so from sites with images like Pinterest. Collect pictures of furniture and decorative items. And make these into a collage! Doing this will help you single out exceptional items that go with your style.
3.2. Get Different Opinions
Going for different opinions is probably a good choice. You can ask your family, friends, colleagues, or neighbors for some advice. Moreover, you can also seek professional help! Do not forget to note these opinions down. This will help you view your long living room from different perspectives. As a result, you will find your style in no time!
3.3. Keeping Budget in Mind
So, you’re in the process of determining your decorative style. Going for everything you come across is a huge blunder. If you come across decorative items that are enticing, take a picture and save them. Before impulse buying, look for identical or similar items across different stores. Go for the one that seems inexpensive and durable!
If you’re just sitting with the question of decorating a long living room, it’s time to find solutions. Sectioning a long room or going for L-shaped or U-shaped sofas is the best way. Moreover, seek decorative items that take up minimum space. And do not forget to create a pathway for guests. A bumpy room makes no lasting impression. And lastly, do not turn a blind eye to your budget. Keeping these in mind, transform your long living room into a warm and inviting atmosphere!
Last Updated on January 1, 2024 by Sathi Chakraborty