Thinking about moving to Colorado and not sure where to start sorting out all the hustle?
If understood, Colorado is rich in geographical diversity, it has it all, from the arid regions to snow-capped mountains, from lush valleys to river canyons.
In the west of the United States lies the Centennial State. But before you start, here are nine things that you must know.
Moving to a different state is exciting as well as scary. No matter how much you learn about a new place, there is always a feeling of needing to know more.
This blog post will discuss things to remember before moving to Colorado. But first, let’s have an overview of this beautiful state.
1. Colorado Geography & Location
Colorado is west of the U.S., and there are the Rocky Mountains, arid desert areas, large plains, snow-covered mountains, and canyons.
Colorado is one of the states with borders defined only by straight boundary lines. Colorado’s state capital, Denver, is known as the “mile-high city” since it’s above sea level.
Colorado has many mountain peaks that are above 4000 meters in elevation. It is the only U.S. state that lies entirely above 1000 meters in height.
2. People of Colorado
Colorado is home to around 57.6 million people. It is the 21st most populated state in the United States. Colorado’s population explosion has been massive.
Every year, about 100,000 people move to Colorado.
But do not worry, there is enough space for you. Most people are white, but other races also live in Colorado.
The national average of Colorado’s population consists of the following:
- Whites: 84.00 %
- Blacks/ African-Americans: 4.16 %
- Others: 3.86%
- Two or more races: around 3%
Generally, people are polite, kind, and friendly. Although mountain people are not so welcoming, they are protective of their privacy.
3. Pros of Moving
You have made an excellent choice of moving to Colorado, and here is why-
3.1. Colorado Is Fun
Colorado is everything but boring. There are so many outdoor activities to enjoy in Colorado, and your weekends will not go in vain.
Winter in Colorado offers skiing and trail activities. One can spend time kayaking, canoeing, and hiking in the summer.
3.2. Colorado is Magnificent
Colorado is a beautiful state with many waterfalls, state parks, four national parks, including Rocky Mountain National Parks Mesa Verde National Park, and everything else that adds to the state’s charm.
Imagine looking out the window and not seeing only tall, ugly buildings, that would be fascinating.
3.3. Love for Beer
If you love beer, Colorado is your heaven. There are grand beer festivals, more than 400 breweries, and many beer lovers to chat with.
3.4. Vacation Everyday
Residents of Colorado live like they are on vacation, that is like a childhood dream coming true.
So be prepared to live the Vacation Colorado life every day. There are many recreational activities, resorts, spas, and other places to make it possible.
3.5. Taxes Are Low
City sales tax rates in Colorado are comparatively lower, but keep in mind counties & cities may and usually do add their own sales taxes on top of the state rate, which is common.
This is one of the most significant reasons for moving to Colorado.
3.6. Health-Focused Culture
Everybody is concerned about health in Colorado, and people either walk or cycle to their workplaces.
Citizens practice recycling, eat healthy food, and remain active throughout the year. The environment will help you adopt a healthy lifestyle.
3.7. Cost of Living
Colorado’s overall cost of living is 31% higher than the other states, owing to the house prices. Other things, like healthcare and other utilities, are not as costly.
3.8. Low Unemployment Rate
Thanks to the stable growth of the economy, the unemployment rate is lower than in other states. There are many job opportunities in Colorado for you.
3.9. Are you a Mountain Person?
The Rocky Mountains of Colorado provide a majestic charm to the state. You can perform many fun activities, like hiking, climbing, and camping amidst the hills. Just keep in mind the altitude sickness.
4. What to Take with You?
From home essentials to office supplies, you can buy anything in Colorado. However, if you do not want to spend your time shopping in Colorado, you can take these items-
Skiing Kit: Colorado has many recreational activities, so you can take your skiing kit with you and have fun.
Good Quality Boots: The climate and the mountainous activities you may perform will require a pair of good-quality boots.
A layer of Clothes: If you are moving to a cold climate, take warm jackets and other winter clothes. Also, the weather is unpredictable, so it is advisable always to carry layers of clothes.
Moisturizer: Buy a good-quality moisturizer and a humidifier. The air is extremely dry out there, so you would need to apply moisturizer constantly.
Other Essential Items: Other things include essential items like books, gadgets, clothes, and other things you need immediately.
5. Things to Keep in Mind
Colorado is not just an ordinary state. You should keep so many things in mind if you move to Colorado. Let’s learn about them-
- Colorado is a beer-loving state, it has over 40,000 breweries, from famous craft beer breweries to local microbreweries and great beer festivals.
- It is one of the states to legalize the recreational use of marijuana.
- The cities have museums, parks, skiing spots, casinos, forts, and famous restaurants serving delicious food.
- The air is dry in the Rocky Mountains, raising the need to apply moisturizers constantly. Drink lots of water and buy a humidifier to combat the dry air.
- In recent years, many people have moved to Colorado. Gone are the days when Colorado was not so crowded. With the rising population, the demand for houses is also increasing in the Colorado housing market, which means expensive real estate.
- Many people are moving to Colorado. Consequently, traffic, pollution, and trash are also increasing.
- There is no better place for pet owners than Colorado. Most parks, apartments, and cafes allow dogs, and there are many recreational activities for pets.
- The unemployment rate is lower as compared to other states. There are so many job opportunities in Colorado. It has the most attractive job market in the country.
- The weather in Colorado changes frequently. One day, you could be sweating, and another, you could be wrapped up in warm blankets. It is advisable to carry sunscreen, boots, and jackets with you all the time.
- Frequent hail and thunderstorms may disrupt your peaceful living. In recent years, they have occurred frequently.
Colorado is a state of mixed emotions, and like many people, you would love living here. Pack your bags, get into the vehicle, and welcome to Colorado!
Hopefully, this article on moving to Colorado has helped sort things out for you. Share your experiences in Colorado with us in the comment section!
Also, visit Colorado once before moving for sure for better insights.