Want a cream corn recipe to try out for your next get-together? Keep reading to get a varied list.
What Is Creamed Corn?
As part of the Native American cuisine, Creamed corn is more popular in the Southern and Midwestern United States. It is a soupy form of sweetcorn, partially pureed to release the liquids of corn kernels.
Also known as cream-style corn, this is made by pulping the corn kernels to collect the milk residue.
Nowadays, the ingredients used to make a cream corn recipe have increased from just the fresh corn, water, and milk residue, to eggs, milk, cream, and butter. Other veggies and meat are also added, as per different dish recipes, which we will be looking at here.
1) Creamed Corn Recipes
With different cooking methods and ingredients used to make a cream corn recipe, you can pick your favorite amongst these –
1.1) Homemade Creamed Corn Recipe
This cream corn recipe is made of sweet and tender corn kernels with a tasty cream sauce. It is a good choice for a side dish cuisine.
1) Corn Kernels (4 cups)
2) Diced Small onion (1)
3) Butter (3 tbsp)
4) Flour (2 tbsp)
5) Milk (1 and 1/4 cup)
6) Heavy cream (3/4 cup)
7) Sugar (2 tsp)
8) Dried fresh thyme (2 sprigs)
9) Salt and Pepper To Taste
This homemade cream corn recipe would take 15 minutes prep time and 15 minutes cook time, with a total of 8 servings.
1) Combine butter and onion to cook over medium heat. You can wait till the onion is translucent or for 4 minutes.
3) Add flour, salt, and pepper to the mix, and cook while stirring (for 2-3 minutes). Add corn and mix again.
4) Add the cream, milk, sugar, and thyme. Keep stirring on medium heat till the corn mixture boils and thickens (around a minute.)
5) Remove some corn mixture (1 cup) and blend it with a hand mixer until it is smooth.
6) Stir this again into the remaining creamed corn.
You can season it with salt and pepper and serve warm.
Adjust the cream corn recipe as you want to, depending on the servings.
You can make this recipe with canned creamed corn or frozen corn.
1) If you want a smoother texture, blend more than a cup of the corn mixture.
2) You can make creamed corn ahead of time, then reheat it on low when ready to eat.
The additional ingredients that you can add to this homemade cream corn recipe are –
1) Add a scoop of creamed corn over mashed potatoes with seasonings to highlight the savory notes.
2) You can add it with diced jalapeno for heat.
3) Stir it with cheddar cheese, or swap the herbs and seasoning as per your tastes.
1.2) Quick Cream Corn Recipe
An easy side dish cuisine is this homemade cream corn recipe which can be used with other mains like chicken and pork.
1) Frozen corn kernels (thawed – 10 ounces)
2) Heavy cream (1 cup)
3) Salt (1 tsp)
4) Granulated sugar (2 tbsp)
5) Freshly ground black pepper (1/4 tsp)
6) Butter (2 tbsp)
7) Whole milk (1 cup)
8) All-purpose flour (2 tbsp)
9) Freshly grated parmesan cheese (1/4 cup)
This homemade cream corn recipe would take 5 minutes prep time and 10 minutes cook time, with a total of 8 servings.
1) Combine the creamed corn, salt, sugar, black pepper, butter, and heavy cream in a skillet over medium heat.
2) Whisk the flour and milk, and stir them into this corn mixture.
3) Keep stirring over medium heat until the mix is thick enough to cook creamed corn.
4) Once removed from heat, stir in the parmesan cheese till it melts.
Serve immediately while hot.
1.2.3) Nutrition Facts
Per serving, this homemade cream corn recipe would have 253 nutrition calories, 5.1 gm protein, 24.8 gm carbohydrates, and 16.5 gm fat.
1.3) Easy Creamed Corn Recipe
This homemade cream corn recipe can be a family favorite with a mix of sweets and spices.
1) Unsalted butter (2 tbsp)
2) Frozen corn (thawed – 5 cups)
3) Heavy cream (1/2 cup)
4) Kosher salt (3/4 tsp)
5) Freshly cracked black pepper (1/2 tsp)
6) Granulated sugar (1-1/2 tbsp)
7) Cayenne pepper (a pinch)
8) Ground nutmeg (a pinch)
9) Whole milk (1 cup)
10) All-purpose flour (3 tbsp)
The total time to make the cream corn recipe is 13 minutes, with six servings.
1) Take a medium saucepan over medium heat, and melt butter. Add the thawed frozen corn, heavy cream, pepper, salt, sugar, cayenne pepper, and nutmeg. Stir them well
2) Take a small bowl or a large measuring cup, and whisk the milk and flour together in it. Pour the corn mix in this, then combine well.
3) Stir the creamed corn mix constantly (around 4-5 minutes) or till it is cooked and thick.
Season this prepared corn recipe with any of the ingredients ranging from salt, sugar, and even nutmeg.
1.4) Baked Parmesan Creamed Corn
This canned corn recipe is a simple and tasty twist that can be baked to perfection within an hour.
1) Canned Cream Corn (2)
2) Whole kernel corn (Sweet – 1 can)
3) Flour (1/4 cup)
4) Large Eggs (3)
5) Garlic powder (1/2 tsp)
6) Sugar (2 tsp)
7) Parmesan cheese (1/2 cup)
8) Crushed buttery crackers (1/3 cup)
9) Melted butter (4 tbsp)
Optional – Grated canned parmesan
To taste – Salt (1 tsp) and pepper (1/4 tsp)
1) Preheat the oven to 350°, then grease a baking or casserole dish.
2) Take a large bowl, and stir the canned creamed corn, whole kernel corn, eggs, salt, flour, garlic powder, sugar, and pepper.
3) Pour this mix into the prepared baking dish, and sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top.
4) Bake for 35-40 minutes, then remove the canned cream-style corn dish, sprinkle the crushed crackers on top, then drizzle some melted butter.
5) Bake for 5 more minutes, or till the crackers are browned.
Allow this baked creamed corn dish to cool slightly, and then serve. You can top it with more parmesan cheese.
1.4.3) Serving Suggestions
You can customize the homemade cream corn recipe with these ideas –
1) Add in some cooked crumbled bacon, chop, and stir it in before the baking process.
2) You can add herbs like fresh parsley, chives, green onion, or dill
3) Cooked diced onions and bell peppers can take this dish up a notch.
4) If you don’t like parm, add in Monterey jack or cheddar cheese.
5) If you like bacon, pancetta, or diced ham can pair well with this cream corn recipe.
6) Some diced cherry tomatoes would be your perfect addition to this garlic, butter, and corn mixture.
Here are some tweaks to this homemade cream corn recipe you can try –
1) If you don’t want to use the canned one, swap with frozen corn. It will give a different texture and has the benefit of less sodium.
2) To make a less creamy mix, add some water and cornstarch to the dish. You can simmer it over low heat to reach the desired consistency.
3) Add softened cream cheese (4 ounces) for a more creamy and cheesy mix.
Have some left? Store the leftover in a casserole for four days in the fridge or four months in an airtight container placed in the freezer.
1.5) Fresh Creamed Corn Recipe
This easy-to-make fresh corn recipe is a simple choice of side dish for any gatherings or just a summer meal.
1) Fresh corn (6 ears), You can also make it with frozen corn.
2) Butter (2 tbsp)
3) Milk (3/4 cup)
4) Heavy cream (1/4 cup)
5) Garlic (a sliver) and sea salt
6) For garnish – Fresh sage and chopped fresh parsley
This homemade cream corn can be made in 20 minutes, with 4 total servings.
1) Scrape the fresh corn kernels from the cobs, and run the knife edges along the latter to squeeze out the juice.
Tip – If the fresh corn is a little old, blanch it in boiling water (around 2-3 minutes) before the scraping process.
2) On a medium saucepan over medium heat, drop the butter, and melt till it’s foamy. Add corn, garlic, and juice to it.
3) Season this fresh corn mixture with salt, and cook till the kernels are tender.
4) Pour some milk and simmer till it’s gone. Pour in the cream, and simmer for another five minutes.
You can taste and adjust the seasoning, then serve this warm.
1.6) Slow Cooker Creamed Corn Recipe
This rich homemade cream corn recipe can be made with just a few ingredients in a crockpot! Try it out
1) Drained whole kernel corn (3 cans)
2) Milk (1 cup)
3) Sugar (1 tbsp)
4) Pepper (1/4 tsp)
5) Cubed cream cheese (8 ounces)
6) Unsalted butter (1/2 cup or 1 stick)
This homemade cream corn recipe will take a total time of 3 hours and 25 minutes, with 6 servings.
1) Take a slow cooker, and place the corn in it.
2) Stir the sugar, milk, and pepper till they combine. Cover and cook on high heat for 2-3 hours in the slow cooker. Top this with cream cheese and butter.
3) Once done, open and stir till the butter and cream cheese combine well. Cook for another 15 minutes.
Your homemade creamed corn is ready to serve as a side dish for a hearty meal. Enjoy.
1.7) Frozen Corn Recipe (With Cream Cheese)
This southern comfort food is perfect as a side dish for any special occasion like a Thanksgiving dinner.
1) Frozen corn (24 oz)
2) Heavy cream (1 cup)
3) Milk (1 cup)
4) Butter (3 tbsp)
5) Parmesan cheese (freshly grated – 1/3 cup)
6) Cream cheese (2 tbsp)
7) Salt (1 tsp)
8) All-purpose flour (2 tbsp)
This corn recipe with cream cheese will take 25 minutes, with 8 servings.
1) On a saucepan in medium-high heat, melt the butter. Stir the flour in it, and whisk for a minute.
2) Add milk, cream, parmesan, salt, and cream cheese.
Stir for 2 minutes, or till the cheese is melted.
3) Add frozen corn, keep stirring and cooking (around 15 minutes), or till there is a creamy texture to the sauce, and plump the corn.
Your delicious homemade cream corn dish with cream cheese is ready for the occasion.
1.8) Best Creamed Corn Recipe
Providing a perfect balance of spice and sweetness, this is the best-creamed corn recipe with creamy and buttery sweet corn—a side dish best for your Sunday supper.
1) Frozen corn (3 cups)
2) Whole milk (1/2 cup)
3) Cream cheese (4 oz)
4) Unsalted butter (1/4 cup)
5) Granulated sugar (1 and 1/2 tsp)
6) salt and pepper (1/2 tsp)
7) Cayenne pepper (1/4 tsp)
8) Finely diced Green onions (1 tbsp)
1) Mix the cream cheese and butter, and add it to a medium-sized saucepan over medium-high heat.
2) Add milk, and stir till the mix is smooth.
3) Add the spices, frozen corn, and sugar after reducing the heat to medium.
4) Keep stirring till the corn is heated, or around 5 minutes.
The best-creamed corn recipe is ready to be served.
1) Keep stirring continuously, or the milk mix could burn on the bottom. Once it starts boiling, adjust the temperature.
2) If you would like more heat in your recipe, add 1/4 tsp of cayenne.
1) You can make this recipe with fresh, frozen, or canned corn.
2) If you don’t want to substitute whole milk, use 2% milk, the difference won’t be noticeable as the cheese is creamy enough.
3) Although reduced-fat cream cheese is healthier, using full-fat cream cheese would give you better results
1.9) Canned Corn Recipe
This easy-to-make cream corn is one of the delicious recipes made in minutes, providing a combination of sweet corn in a thick creamed sauce.
It can be used as a side dish with chicken, pork, or even ham
1) Canned corn (2)
2) whole or nonfat milk (3/4 cup – depending on the taste and texture)
3) Whipped cream cheese (1/3 cup)
4) Unsalted butter (1 tbsp)
5) Gluten-free flour (1 tbsp)
6) Grated garlic clove (1)
7) Sugar (1 tsp)
8) Fresh black pepper (1/2 tsp)
To taste – salt (1/2 to 1/4 tsp)
This homemade cream corn recipe would take 10 minutes to complete, with 4 servings.
1) Take a medium-sized saucepan – heat milk and corn on medium-low heat till it’s warm.
2) add cheese, butter, flour, garlic, salt, pepper, and sugar. Mix well till the cheese and butter are melted, around 5 minutes.
3) Remove a portion of creamed corn (3/4 cup), and puree in a blender or food processor.
4) Add this to the pot, and mix it before serving.
Delicious homemade creamed corn is ready. Garnish with fresh parsley or chives.
1.9.3) Tips And Notes
1) If you don’t wish to use canned corn, you can make this recipe with frozen corn (1 16-ounce bag)—Thaw before using.
2) To bring out the flavors of canned corn, you can add minced garlic clove (1), fresh corn, and cream cheese (1-2 tbsp).
3) For a healthier recipe, use 1-2% or nonfat milk.
2) Other Cream Corn Recipes
Even though some of the fan-favorite corn recipes that you can try out are given above, you can always have more options to choose from, like –
1) To make a cream corn recipe with frozen corn and whipping cream in just a few minutes, click here.
2) You can also try out creamed corn recipes with different equipment like an air fryer. Click here to view the whole recipe.
3) Perfect for a BBQ set, this frozen corn recipe uses simple ingredients with a dose of cream and cheese to make it flavorful. Try it out here.
4) You can also make a creamed corn stew with healthy spinach and tomatoes. Click here to try this out.
5) This easy cream corn recipe uses simple ingredients like butter, cream, lime juice, and seasoning that can be a good side dish option for a weeknight meal.
6) With this garlic butter creamed corn chicken recipe, you can use ingredients like healthy veggies, cream, cheese, and even white wine to create a delicious dish.
7) Creamed corn also goes well with other meats like lamb kofte. This mix with veggies, cream, healthy seeds, and seasoning is a must-try.
8) Ever tried a mixture of seafood and cream corn? This old bay battered fish with creamed corn is one of the options you can try under this list.
Apart from these savory options, creamed corn can also be made into tasty desserts like –
1) This fan-favorite grandma’s corn pudding uses all the staple ingredients to make a simple and comforting dessert. Try it out here now.
2) This Maja Blanca, or sweet coconut pudding with cream-style corn, is another dessert option to try with a soft and silky pudding texture, packed with corn and cheese flavor.
Are you looking for more corn recipes? Click here!