Looking to make perfect soft-boiled eggs for your breakfast or any other meal but don’t know the exact way? Let’s find it out.
How Long Do Eggs Take to Boil
How long do eggs take to boil? Usually, a perfect egg takes 8-10 minutes to boil, varying from hard-boiled to soft-boiled eggs and other recipes.
1.1. 5 Minutes Boiled Eggs
A 5 minutes boiled egg white is set, but the yolk is still runny and in a liquid texture. Hard to peel and a mess, also raw in taste.
1.2. 7 Minutes Boiled Eggs
7-minute boiled eggs have perfectly set whites and are jammy in texture also slightly runny yolks. The yolks get a little bit jammier as they sit in 7 minutes.
Seven minutes of – boiled eggs are just suitable for ramen noodles or to top avocado toast, buttered toast, a bowl of savory oatmeal, leftover rice, and many more snacks and recipes.
1.3. 10 to 12 Minutes of Boiled Eggs
How long do eggs take to boil perfectly? The answer is 10 to 12 minutes. The classic perfect hard-boiled eggs are mashable but not dry and chalky, perfect for eating, and easy to peel. A perfect and quickest healthy snack.
I hope this has helped you. How long do eggs take to boil?
2. Things to Remember when Boiling Perfect Hard-Boiled Egg
Hard-cooked eggs are great for egg salad, deviled eggs, or just eating plain with a sprinkle of salt or your favorite spice.
If we talk about soft-boiled eggs, the egg whites stay firm, but the yolk turns silky and creamy in texture and a liquid gold state. It’s like a cross texture between butter and melted cheese.
You can enjoy soft-boiled eggs with toast, as a quick bowl meal, as a crusher for salads or soup, or ramen, and just as a quick snack.
The most common issue with cooking eggs is that they can easily be overcooked or undercooked. Overcooking them leads to a dark green ring around the yolk and a sulphury taste; meanwhile, undercooking can result in raw egg whites and yolk and hard-to-peel and liquid texture yolk.
It is a fact that older eggs are more accessible to peel than fresh eggs. If you plan to boil hard-boiled eggs for your breakfast or lunch and want to peel hard-boiled eggs easily, then buy your eggs at least a week before. (Two weeks are even better)
Be careful with boiling eggs. When you need soft-boiled eggs for a 7 minutes boil, you will have perfect soft boil eggs with a creamy yellow yolk.
How long do eggs take to boil? Go for the 10 to 12 minutes boil if you crave a hard-boiled egg. The 10 to 12 minutes boil makes your egg white and yolk thoroughly cooked and easy to peel.
3. How to Boil Eggs
How to make hard-boiled eggs?
3.1. Place All the Eggs in A Saucepan or Pot and Cover It with A Lid and Cold Water
Firstly, add eggs, then water to the pot. Why? Because if you put the eggs in cold or room temperature water, they might crack as they fall to the bottom of the pot and get in contact with direct heat.
3.2. Put a Pot on High Heat and Bring Water to A Rolling Boil, remove the Saucepan from The Heat and Replace the Lid
How long do eggs take to boil? You need the water to come just to a boil but not stay there. When staying in high heat for a long time, Eggs go through a chemical reaction that turns the yolks green. So here is the answer to “How long do eggs take to boil?”
3.3. Drain All the Hard-Boiled Eggs Immediately with The Help of a Slotted Spoon and Put Them in A Bowl Filled with Cold Running Water and Ice Cubes
Why ice water? Ice water cools the egg’s temperature down and prevents the green color yolk problem. Sometimes, chilled water isn’t cold enough – you need a bowl full of cold water with lots of ice cubes.
Give all the eggs a nice ice bath.
If you’re trying to peel the eggs, crack them slightly before putting them in the bowl of ice cubes and let them sit for half an hour for maximum ease of peeling.
How long do eggs take to boil? Let the rest of the eggs sit in hot water for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how firm or set you want your eggs’ yolks.
And you have done your perfect boiled egg.
Why the time range? The longer the eggs stay in hot water in the pot, the more cooked the yolk will be; figure less time for soft boiled eggs and longer time for hard-boiled eggs. Use these time guidelines for large eggs.
Smaller eggs will take less time, and extra-large or king-sized eggs will need more time.
4. How To Cook Eggs in The Oven
Have you ever thought about How to cook Eggs in the Oven? How long do eggs take to boil?
Cooking eggs for more than three people on a stove without having cracks or scrambled eggs is hard, and you cannot make it easy as eggs cooked in the oven.
Do you know why oven-cooked eggs are fantastic? Not only is cooking eggs in the oven an easy way to feed a big family or group of friends, but it’s also an easy method to give your body the nourishment needed to boost your day!
Eggs are a great (and most inexpensive) source of protein, along with Vitamin B12, selenium, Vitamin D, B6, B 12, and some other essential minerals. Eggs also provide some fat that completes your fat intake.
Eggs are the best way to get your daily protein intake during the day, and there are so many ways to cook the egg and enjoy them, like Drying the egg in the pan or making Omelets with plenty of vegetables in them.
Some famous Indian egg dishes like Egg Curry or Egg bhurji, but all these recipes contain oil and excessive cooking, which will reduce the egg’s protein count, so the best way to eat eggs is to boil them or cook them in an oven.
Take an oven-safe bowl or a muffin mold and crack an egg in it.
Now add your favorite spice sprinkles like black pepper, white pepper, Italian herbs, chili flakes, parsley, sesame seeds, some green onion leaves, salt, and your other favorite vegetables.
Now put the bowl or muffin mold with your egg and spices inside the oven.
How long do eggs take to boil or cook entirely in the oven? Please turn on the oven and set it from 160°c to 200°c for 8 to 10 minutes.
And done, your oil-free best and tasty protein snack is ready.
Remove the hot, super moist, and tasty eggs out from the oven after 10 minutes and eat them hot with different sauces or as per your preference.
5. How Long Do Hard Boiled Eggs Last
During the boiling process, the egg coat’s protective layer and the shell are removed; keeping the eggs in the air for a long time leads to harmful microorganisms.
Therefore, refrigeration is best for preventing hard-boiled eggs from infecting or spoiling.
Your hard boil eggs will easily last up to one week.
Storing boiled eggs in your fridge helps slow bacterial growth, as potentially dangerous bacteria grow slower at temperatures below 45°F (5°C).
Avoid keeping the boiled eggs at room temperature for long and refrigerate them within 2 hours of boiling.
It’s also a perfect idea to store them in a carton or an air-tight container. Keep them on an inside shelf of the fridge rather than in the door, as opening and closing the fridge, again and again, may cause the temperature spot to fluctuate.
6. Health-Benefits of Eating Boiled Eggs
Health-Benefits of eating boiled eggs are:
- Incredibly nutritious
Seventy-five calories, 7g of protein, 5g of fat, and zero carbs!
- High in Cholesterol but doesn’t affect blood cholesterol
- Raise HDL (known as good cholesterol)
- Contain Choline, an Important Nutrient That Most People Don’t Get Enough.
- Reduce the risk of heart disease
- Good for Eyes health and Hair growth
- Contains Omega-3
- Help you Lose weight due to fewer calories and higher protein and vitamins.
7. Tips to Get Boiled Eggs Super Quick
Adding salt to boiling water cooks eggs faster and easier to peel.
Adding baking soda, vinegar, or lemon slices to the water may also help boil eggs quickly.
Place eggs in a covered container, add salt and baking soda, and cover the pot. The cooking process starts now; by adding salt and baking soda, water begins to boil quickly, making eggs easy to cook and reducing cooking time.
8. More Egg Recipes
Firstly, I am sharing a fantastic egg recipe:
8.1. Egg Curry
Egg curry reminds you of the Rich, spicy Onion tomato curry with oil oozing on the sides and a smokey flavor. It pairs perfectly with Tortilla or Steamed Rice. How long do eggs take to boil for egg curry?
8.1.1. Ingredients Needed:
- 6 Eggs
For frying egg:
- two tablespoons of Oil
- ¼ teaspoon of Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Chili Powder
- one tablespoon of Oil
- one tablespoon of butter
- two medium Onion (Finely Chopped about 1 cup)
- one tablespoon of Ginger Garlic Paste
- ½ cup Finely chopped Tomatoes
- one tablespoon of Coriander Powder
- one teaspoon of Cumin Powder
- ½ teaspoon Red Chili Powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- one green Chili chopped (optional)
- one tablespoon of dried fenugreek leaves
- 1.5 cups of Water
- Curry powder, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Cover eggs with cold water in a pan. Please bring it to a boil. How long do eggs take to boil? Cook eggs for 8-10 minutes. Now transfer eggs to cold water. When it is comfortable to handle, peel the hard-boiled eggs.
- Toss all peeled, boiled eggs in salt, turmeric, lemon, and chili powder.
- Heat oil in a pot. Add eggs to the pot when it is hot. Toss in medium-hot until you see a little brown color on egg white. Could you remove them and keep them aside?
- To the same pot, add one tablespoon of oil and butter. Now add hot, dry red chili, and sauté for 30 seconds until smokey.
- Add chopped onion to the pot, and sauté for 2-3 minutes. The onion will soften and start to turn brown.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste to the pot. Sautee for a minute and keep on stirring.
- When there is no raw smell of ginger or garlic, lower the heat.
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric, red chili powder, Kashmiri red chili powder, and Sauté all the spices for 30 seconds until aromatic. Sprinkle tiny drops of water to prevent spices from burning.
- Add chopped tomatoes to it. Cook until the tomato turns soft and mushy. Add chopped green chili, and crushed fenugreek leaves to the pot and mix well.
- When you see the oil separating from the curry, it is the right time to add water.
- Season with salt; add curry powder and fried eggs to the pot. Mix everything in the pot and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Your tasty mouthwatering Egg curry is ready. It’s best for a dinner party.
8.2. Scrambled Eggs Recipe
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Onions, finely chopped
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 2 green chilies or as per taste
- 1/2 Capsicum, chopped
- 3-inch ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 4-5 Curry leaves
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil or ghee
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Red chili powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric powder as per taste
- Pinch of asafetida as per taste
- 2 Tbsp butter (optional)
- Take a large bowl, whisk the eggs using a spoon or whisker and keep them aside.
- Take a pan, add oil, and heat it. Add cumin, onions, asafetida, green chilies, curry leaves, capsicum, and ginger. Sauté everything for 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and a few coriander leaves and cook until the tomatoes get soft. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add 1 Tbsp butter, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Finally, add the lightly beaten eggs and continue whisking until they are fully cooked.
- Top it up with butter. Garnish with the remaining coriander leaves. Serve hot with buttered bread.
I hope you have found out how long eggs take to boil in this article. If you liked this article, here is something more.
Verified Content by Experts
USA Tales has content written by niche experts, travelers, students, and those with real-life experience. Our content is also periodically reviewed by subject matter experts to ensure content accuracy and relevancy. Have a question? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org