Vermont breweries are well known for starting the trend of hazy IPAs along with some well-acknowledged and award-winning breweries such as Hill Farmstead, Alchemist, Magic Hat, and Otter Creek. Vermont is home to more than 60 breweries.
Beer has always been the life of every party. It’s something you can serve on almost any special occasion or can enjoy on daily basis. But it’s more fun to enjoy them at their source. So here are some of the best Vermont breweries you shouldn’t miss when you plan your beer-cation for this Green Mountain State.
10 Best Vermont Breweries
1. Hill Farmstead Brewery
No beer lover’s visit is complete without tasting the award-winning brew of this Vermont brewery. Awarded as the World’s Best Vermont Breweries for five years in a row by RateBeer – the leading rating & reviewing beer online site.
Founder, Owner and, Brewer Shaun E. Hill officially opened the Hill Farmstead Brewery on Memorial Day in 2010 on the farmland which has been in the family for eight generations! Hill Farmstead also has been included under “Top 50 Most Rated Breweries on BeerAdvocate for 2020“.
If it’s your first time, don’t forget to taste Edward – their flagship American Pale Ale beer and their finest vintage bottles, it will give you a peek into what they actually do besides the experimental ones. Their three main categories are Kale Hoppy Beers, Dark Stouts, Thick Rich Stouts.
Even if it’s not located in some industrial areas or between the hustle & bustle of town, people come here from different parts of the world and get arrested by beautiful slopes of mountains. Pilgrimage word has been used by most of them to describe this world-famous Vermont brewery.
Check out their website to know more about their brews: https://hillfarmstead.com/
2. The Alchemist
This world-famous brewery first started as a brewpub in 2003, then canning line, and now they’re in their new building Stowe Vermont – world-famous for their trendsetter flagship brew Heady Topper which set the wheel to the launch of thousands of New England IPAs.
Enjoy their best brew such as Focal Banger – an American IPA for its Malty goodness, for hoppy heads; there is Crusher – American Double IPA with oozing hoppy flavor & aroma and very dry finish at their Stowe brewery and visitor center.
Check out their website to know more about their brews: https://alchemistbeer.com/
3. Foam Brewers
Famous for its ever-creative beer lines, this Vermont brewery has earned 7th rank in the top 10 breweries of 2017. Founded by five team members from different industries professional in 2016 is well known for brewing many beers. This brewery represents the new school for hazy IPAs.
Located at the mesmerizing riverfront of River Champlain, this well-known brewery creates beers for every imaginable palate. Some of their best brews are – their double IPA – A Head with Wings, The Sun Leaves You – with lots of fruity flavors, full-bodied New England IPA, Like Clockwork – New England IPA with tropical fruit palate, and much more.
Check out their website to know more about their brews: www.foambrewers.com
4. Lawson’s Finest Liquid
Located in Waitsfield, this Vermont brewery is world-famous for its high-quality beer and is known for giving back to the community. They are involved in many philanthropical organizations such as – VBSR (Vermont Businesses for Social Responsibility), The Sparks Centre. Also, they use earth-friendly products and reuse & recycle their materials.
Lawson’s Finest Liquid has been included under “Top 50 Most Rated Breweries on BeerAdvocate for 2020” amongst all Vermont breweries. Their core produces the finest IPAs and unique maple brews such as:
- A sip of Sunshine – Lupulin-laden IPA with tropical fruit flavor and bright floral aroma (scored 100 BeerAdvocate points)
- Double Sunshine IPA Imperial – a tropical juicy flavored brew with a dank herbal aroma (scored 100 BeerAdvocate points)
- Triple Sunshine, a double IPA Imperial – a fruity concoction of grapefruit, pineapple and, lychee with a heady herbal & floral aroma. (scored 100 BeerAdvocate points)
- Fayston Maple – Imperial Stout, brewed with lots of roasted and black malts and with a substantial dose of home-grown maple syrup. (scored 93 BeerAdvocate points)
Check out their website to know more about their brews: www.lawsonsfinest.com
5. Four Quarters Brewing
Located in Winooski, this 10 barrel Vermont brewery was founded in 2016. With a lengthy draft menu, this brewery is specialized in sour, stouts and, hoppy beers.
Known for offering a quite interesting assortment of beers such as:
- Morning Star – an imperial milk stout with lots of lactose Sout, a hint of maple syrup that finishes with coffee flavor.
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Stout – pumpkin flavored, standout most with a balanced taste of vanilla bean, dark chocolate, nutmeg, cinnamon and, roast coffee.
Check out their website to know more about their brews: www.4qbc.com
6. Von Trapp Brewery
Located in Stowe, this Austrian-style brewery’s featured brew is Lagers beers, which very few Vermont breweries produce because they are challenging to brew, take longer to mature.
Some of their award-winning beers are:
- Bohemian Pilsner – Gold medal in 2018 at N.Y. International Beer Competition Pilsner Brewery of the Year.
- Kölsch Style – Gold medal at U.S. Open Beer Championship in 2018.
- Bock beer – Bronze medal at U.S. Open Beer Championship in 2018.
- Dunkel Lager – Silver medal at International Beer, Cider, Mead & Sake Competition in the category “Amber & Dark Lager”. But there are more.
Check out their website to know more about their brews: www.vontrappbrewing.com
7. Lost Nation Brewing
Located in Morrisville, this Vermont brewery is specialized in European-style Ales & Lagers. Their taproom serves a various range of IPAs, Black Ale, and Pilsners.
Some of their best brews are almost extinct traditional German-style brew – Gose, brewed with sea salt & coriander and tart, dry finish. Vermont Pilsner – with Saaz hop aroma and grass & sharp grain presence. The Wind – their classic Gose with sour & tart grapefruit aroma and complexity of Citra dry hops and some more classic & best-quality brew.
Check out their website to know more about their brews: https://lostnationbrewing.com/
8. Zero Gravity Craft Brewery
Famous for its classic, high-quality beer, this Vermont brewery is located in Burlington. Some of their classic brews you wouldn’t want to miss are Green State Lager – this pilsner-style lager has a bready, lemony, and grassy aroma with Nobel hop playing a key role, finishing is crisp & dry, Conehead IPA – brewed with Citra hop, pilsner malt and, American white wheat with a juicy palate and crisp finish.
Known for their notable can design, their Double IPA 40 Thieves can art has been mentioned under “The 30 Best-Looking Beer Cans in America—2019“. This beer is delicious, too, brewed with 2 Row Malt and the perfect blend of Citra, Nelson, and Azacca hops.
Check out their website to know more about their brews: www.zerogravitybeer.com
9. Hermit Thrush Brewery
This Vermont brewery is for the sour beer lover. The only brewery amongst other Vermont breweries which produces Sour Beer made from 100% wild Brattlleoro mixed culture yeast known for its stone fruit & pecan character and balance.
Some of their best brews are:
- Rowdy Monk – a unique sour brown Quadrupel ale, aged in the red wine barrels & scotch barrels for 12 to 18 months, with notes of maple syrup, cocoa, prunes and, dates.
- Party Guy – a Parti-gyle styled beer is a kettle-soured session wild ale with lots of fruitiness.
- Brattlebeer – a sour golden wild ale is a well-balanced apple-flavored, crisp, dry beer with a champaign-like finish.
- Green Street SIPA – Sour version of hop-centric usual Vermont beer. Very well balance of hop & malt flavor with citric tang.
Check out their website to know more about their brews: www.hermitthrushbrewery.com
10. Bissell Brothers Brewing Company
Founded in 2013, this Vermont brewery was started by Noah and Peter Bissel with the aim to provide a unique craft beer experience to the people of Maine. They brew their great selection of brews in Milo, Maine & Portland, Maine.
They have come way forward from their first but now flagship world-class brew of The Substance Ale in 2013. Now producing wide varieties of beers such as Stout, Pilsner, Lager, Sour, Porter and more.
Some of their outstanding brews are:
- The Substance Ale – flagship brew of Bissell Brothers
- Baby Genius Ale – a great hoppy, hazy session blonde Ale with a strong touch of apricot and a touch of peach.
- Reciprocal – a double dry-hopped Australian IPA with a nice balance of fruity & malty presence.
- Swish – a double IPA with the proper balance of tropical fruitiness & hoppy bitterness.
Check out their website to know more about their brews: https://bissellbrothers.com/
Ready For Your Beer-cation at Vermont Breweries?
Sipping beer at their source is much more fun than drinking them anywhere else. So what are you waiting for? Plan your next beer-cation for the Green Mountain State Vermont, USA, and enjoy the world-class brews of the Vermont Breweries right at their doorsteps.