If you want to take your excitement to a whole new level, skydiving should be at the top of your bucket list. Skydiving Indiana is a prime choice if you’re looking for destinations to skydive at.
Skydiving is all about taking risks. All the safety precautions are taken care of, so the scenery and the experience is worth the risk! If you want to have the experience of skydiving Indiana has to offer, you should know about the types of skydiving various skydiving centres in Indiana provide before discussing these centres in detail.
Various Types of Skydiving Indiana Offers
It is the most common type of skydiving and the perfect one for beginners.
It is known as tandem skydiving because there are two people involved- a tandem skydiving instructor and a ‘student.’ The ‘student’ is actually the passenger who has to learn about the exit positions, how to make arched body position during the freefall and how to lift legs for landing.
The ‘student’ does not have to have any prior training in freefall, for the instructor will be there to take care of it. The instructor remains with the student in a parachute made for two people throughout the fall. The only job the student is left with is to enjoy the moment!
2. Accelerated Free Fall (AFF)
If you want to hone the art of skydiving, accelerated freefall (AFF) provides the right path for you.
Unlike tandem skydive, you have to devote a considerable amount of time and effort to training and ground schools where you will get to know more about the exit positions, safety equipment used, body postures, the functioning of the parachute, contingency plans, etc.
Under accelerated free fall, you will be allowed to make your dive under the surveillance of an instructor until you good enough to skydive on your own. Even though the instructor will be there with you, you have the liberty to manoeuvre and fall at your pace.
After a stipulated time spent on training and completing several jumps, you would be eligible for a skydiving license. This is an ideal skydiving experience for anyone who wants to learn it on their own.
3. Static Line Skydiving
This is quite similar to tandem skydiving; one of the differences is that you have to exit the plane alone. It would help if you did not worry about the parachute as it will be opened by the instructor sitting in the plane.
Another point you need to keep in mind that, like AFF, you must require to have ample training before becoming eligible to skydive without an instructor. Many skydiving Indiana centres would equip you with the necessary knowledge about static line skydiving.
If you’re afraid of heights, skydiving can really help you overcome the fear. Read this article to know more about how you can overcome this fear. These are some of the popular types of skydiving Indiana has for you.
Some of the popular skydiving centres in Indiana are listed below.
Skydiving Centres in Indiana
1. Skydive Indianapolis, Frankfort
Opened in 2012, Skydive Indianapolis is based at Frankfort Municipal Airport, having the largest drop zone area in Indiana. This skydiving Indiana site has a wide range of skydiving experiences to choose from, such as-.
- Tandem Skydiving- After a briefing of the instructions, you will be tied by a harness with the United States Parachuting Association (USPA) certified instructor who will handle the manoeuvring and parachute opening. At the same time, you free fall at 120 miles per hour from 13000 feet above the ground and feel the thrill!
- AFF- Hungry for something new? Then AFF is perfect for you. Skydive Indianapolis has various AFF packages supervised by USPA certified trainers to quench your thirst for free-falling solo.
- Licensed Skydiver Package- Skydiving Indianapolis has a comprehensive package for turning yourself into a licensed skydiver. It is also the best place where skydivers of all kinds can meet and learn from each other.
Your safety is guaranteed as Skydive Indianapolis has one of the highest safety ratings in the United States.
Special video and audio packages are also available to capture every moment of your adventure. You can also get group discounts. Arrangements are even made for blind, paraplegic, and quadriplegic people.
2. ExploreFreeFall, Franklin
This is another centre that skydiving Indiana has. ExploreFreeFall has various types of skydiving opportunities at your disposal. These are as follows:
- Tandem Skydiving- ExploreFreeFall allows the ‘students’ to savour the best of their moments in the air. It has various video packages to capture every second of your free fall from 10,500 ft above ground. Once again, you need not worry about your safety. But, you have to be 220 pounds and less in weight.
- AFF- ExploreFreeFall has all it takes for you to have the ultimate AFF adventure. In this, you will undergo extensive ground training with a first jump course of 5-7 hours, where you’ll learn all about the nuances of skydiving. An instructor will assist you during your free fall.
- Static Line- This is a more intensive method of Alternative Free Fall (AFF). After going through rigorous on-ground training, you will carry a harness with a parachute attached to it while falling.
3. Gravity Powered Sport, Angola
It is an easy drive from Indianapolis. Gravity Powerd Sports, Angola provides a great day out for skydivers of all kinds- be a professional or a novice.
It has a range of packages for you to choose from such as-.
- Tandem Skydiving- It is, according to its website, the most popular skydive experience for first-timers. The on-ground staff and instructors will be there to guide you through everything to make your half-day skydive experience smooth and memorable. Many have given positive reviews about this place.
- IAD (Instructor Assisted Deployment) 1st Jump- If you fall in love with skydiving, this will give you an edge over this sport as you would be trained by professionals. This requires one full day, so you should prepare yourself accordingly.
- Integrated IAD and Freefall Program- This is beneficial for returning ‘students.’ This highly comprehensive program ensures that you become a seasoned diver!
Apart from this, you can even capture your diving moments through the special video and photo packages available.
4. Chicago Skydiving Center, Rochelle (Illinois)
Even though in the matter of skydiving, Indiana has a lot for you, this skydiving centre in Illinois is a short drive from Indiana, and many from the state prefer to come to spend the day at Chicago Skydiving Center in Rochelle, IL.
Here, you don’t just get to skydive. What makes this place special are the following-
- Restaurant- After a fun fall, you can stop by at the Flight Deck Bar, and Grill offers a diverse list of meals to fulfil your hunger. It is open all year round. Located in the Rochelle Municipal Airport, it provides a great ambience for skydivers and others alike.
- Ultimate Entertainment Venue- Chicago Skydiving Center is known for its multi-faceted facilities. Home to the Freefall University, Skydive School, which is instrumental in dispensing knowledge on skydiving, is also a hub for organizing various events such as parties, live music concerts, weddings, various skydiving competitions much more.
- Lucrative Lodging Options- You can find many local hotels around the skydiving center. You can check them out by clicking the link here. Chicago Skydiving Center also provides on-site team rooms with a maximum occupancy of 3 people with all the necessary amenities. If you plan to bring an RV, it has got everything you want to make your visit a pleasant one.
Besides all of these, it has free wifi services, conference rooms, sand volleyball, bonfire pit, and much more.
Some Tips To Remember For Skydiving In Indiana
We have discovered the plethora of things related to skydiving Indiana has to offer. But, it would be best if you kept these things in mind before taking the plunge-
- You should regularly check their website or social media handles for more updates.
- Always book your reservations well in advance. We recommend you to go with a group as there are various concessions for early bird group bookings. You can check the websites of the respective skydiving Indiana centres for pricing and discount.
- Wear comfortable clothes like pants, a t-shirt, and sneakers. Try not to carry any valuables like money and jewellery that may fall during your free fall.
- Make sure that you get your photos and videos. There will be videographers and photographers during the free fall doing the job for you.
- Adhere to the age and weight limit. As per the law, the minimum age limit for skydiving is 18 years old.
- It is a fact that some may get anxious before skydiving. The best advice for it is to breathe. Taking deep breaths will cool down a bit of the anxiety.
- Eat properly before your dive and remain hydrated. Do not drink or eat anything just before you jump off the plane.
- If you have any message you want to share, you can do so by writing it on your hand! While falling, write whatever you want to convey with a marker on your hand, and the photographer will ensure that it’s there on your photo.
- You don’t need to worry about safety. The instructors you’ll meet at the skydiving Indiana sites are highly professional in this field. As per data, the probability of you dying from skydiving is lesser than dying from a bee sting. Know the odds!
Skydiving Indiana is something everyone should experience at least once. The state of Indiana has a bounty to offer for you. For the other things to do in Indiana, check this article on canoeing in Indiana.
If we have missed something related to skydiving Indiana has to offer, feel free to write it down in the comments below.
Verified Content by Experts
USA Tales has content written by niche experts, travelers, students, and those with real-life experience. Our content is also periodically reviewed by subject matter experts to ensure content accuracy and relevancy. Have a question? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org