Traditional College Preparatory Boarding Schools
Like other schools, College preparing Boarding Schools aim to equip the learners to meet college admission requirements.
There are three main types of college preparing boarding schools; General Boarding Schools, Religious Boarding Schools, and Military Boarding Schools.
Junior Boarding Schools in Texas offer 9 Grades and lower.
Therapeutic Boarding Schools
Therapeutic boarding schools provide school and therapeutic facilities to adolescents who face behavioral and emotional issues. These schools offer residential treatment for young minds who need special care and attention.
Boarding Schools in Texas
1. Brook Hill Christian Boarding School
- This is one of the top Christian Boarding Schools in Texas. Like other religious boarding schools, this school also follows a core academic curriculum. Academic excellence under biblical overview is the educational goal of the school.
- This private boarding school is most favorable for those who seek spiritual direction or a faith-rooted family.
- The Pursuit of Academic Excellence with Spiritual and Character Formation is the school’s vision.
- This school aims at equipping students by providing comprehensive Curricular and nonscholastic programs. Free Weekend Trips & Activities and ESL courses are included in the syllabus.
- The school provides cozy facilities like fully furnished rooms, separate private bathrooms, spacious activity areas. Quiet study rooms, personal desks, private locked cabinets, laundry facilities, full kitchens, quick dining services, etc., are the other services.
- Education, Potential, and Character are the three pillars of Brook Hill School. 9:1 is the student-teacher ratio. They provide a family atmosphere in a Christian environment.
- Full-time coaches and winning athletic teams add more feathers to its cap. The school emphasizes and encourages the students’ interest in arts also.
- The school trains students as global citizens, as around 15 percent of them are international students.
3. St Stephen’s Episcopal School
- This American boarding school was the first co-educational Episcopal school in the United States.
- Co-ed schools believe that men and women should compete with each other in the real world and work together. So the school gives different halls for girls and boys to stay in but take their classes together.
- St Stephen’s Episcopal School is the first integrated boarding school in the South also.
- The school boasts about its talented and dedicated faculty. Their student-teacher ratio is 8:1, and the average class size is 17.
- The school offers a balanced program of academics, athletics, service learning, and the arts. The school’s doctrine is appreciating all faiths and customs, respect other cultures and viewpoints.
- Their axioms include making learners serving others and promoting social justice. They support equity and inclusion and thereby make the learners be good stewards of the environment.
- Approximately 30 percent of the students are natives, and the school has students coming from outside the United States.
- This boarding school thinks that the inclusive community can help the pupils develop a deeper understanding of the outside world to face challenges and opportunities easily.
- The classmates from different backgrounds help them see the world from a different perspective.
3. San Marcos Academy
- It is one of the Christian Boarding Schools in Texas. It is a SEVP-certified school that can accept international students who come on an F-1 Visa.
- This Texas Academy offers classes in grades 6-12 for boarding students and grades K-12 for day scholars.
- Approximate 20 percent of the school students are boarding students, and the rest are day scholars. This private Texas school was founded in 1907.
- Military leadership programs and other leadership training programs, and plenty of entertaining activities are included in the school programs.
- The Texas School follows the “Teaching for Transformation” (TFT) curricular model. Worship, truth, justice, service, and community are the values they like to discipleship in their students.
- The student-teacher ratio is 9:1, and the average class size is 12.
- The school emphasizes athletics and sports. The school furnishes baseball, basketball, volleyball courts, fitness center, football fields, indoor and outdoor pools, sand volleyball courts.
- They accommodate students facing mild to moderate learning differences. Learning Differences Support, ADD/ADHD Support, Evening Study Assistance, Subject Tutoring support students’ learning.
- American Sign Language, Spanish, Latin, and French are the other offered languages in the school.
- The school offers various club activities and special programs. Distinctive visual and performing arts, new programs, various organizations, numerous sports activities are the amenities in the school.
4.The Village School
- The Village School is one of the Day and Boarding Schools in Texas from the 2 to 18 age range. The school was founded in 1966 and is a member of the Nord Anglia Education (NAE) family.
- Learners from all over the world study here. The school provides a global environment. The student-teacher ratio is 8:1.
- The school’s diploma options are
- The International Baccalaureate Diploma
- The Entrepreneurship Diploma
- and The Village School U.S
- The school offers technologically advanced facilities and the world’s best resources. It works with educational institutions like the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. They collaborate with organizations like UNICEF also.
- The boarding students have weekend programs and outings.
- Through their online learning platform, Global Campus, all Nord Anglia students can connect and interact through collaborative projects.
- They give importance to athletics and the fine arts. The school is furnished with a 1,000 seat indoor gymnasium and an indoor aquatic center.
- Several tennis courts, an eight-lane track that circles their turfed field, are there for sports enthusiasts.
- Various championships and community service learning are part of their physical training programs. They collaborate with The Julliard School of Performing Arts to provide various performing arts opportunities.
5. Marine Military Academy
- Marine Military Academy is an all-boys boarding school for young students in grades 7-12. This 1965 school is located in Harlingen, Texas.
- The school applies the United States Marine Corps’ concepts of leadership and discipline in its curriculum.
- Their Marine Corps Junior ROTC programs supply the preliminaries needed for young trainees to become leaders through discipline, initiative, and leadership. The academy provides personalized guidance and a phenomenal flight training program.
- The school offers more than 55 academic courses and around 20 sports and activities. The student-teacher ratio is 12:1.
- Nearly 30 percent of the learners are international students. Along with 7-12 Grades, it offers an optional advanced degree year too.
- It is a 142-acre gated campus with a swimming pool, gymnasiums, athletic fields, and tennis courts. A marksmanship center and a 40-acre LEAD complex also.
- The school has a structured and regimented environment which prevents the boys from getting distracted from their learning.
- This school can boast of its 100 percent college acceptance rate. This military academy propounds advanced placement courses, honor courses, and enrichment programs.
6. TMI Episcopal San Antonio
- This school was founded in 1893. This boarding school comes under Episcopal Diocese. It is a 6 to 12 Grade school.
- The Texas Military Institute Episcopal School is one of the military traditioned high schools in Texas. It is a coeducation school.
- The school offers JROTC and boarding programs. In addition to academics, the school covers devotion, fine arts, athletics, and enrichment activities.
- The school’s optional program Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps takes a military structure to develop leadership skills in the students. The Training Corps is open to all learners from grades 6 to12.
- Most military schools follow the residential system, but this school is also open for day scholars.
- This school welcomes all kinds of students irrespective of race, color, or ethnicity.
- The school is recognized as one of the most beautiful boarding schools in Texas. It is an 86 acre campus with a chapel, garden, and walker innovation center.
- The school opened as West Texas Military Academy in 1893 and adopted its current name TMI Episcopal in 2017.
Therapeutic Boarding Schools in Texas
- Boarding Schools in Texas include several therapeutical schools also.
- These schools understand the problems of those teenagers who make complications in their own lives and society. They help them overcome these teenagers’ life-guzzling issues.
- Therapeutic Boarding Schools in Texas offer various therapeutic strategies and provisions.
- The main focus of these schools is healing the learners who are emotionally troubled through therapies. Yet, these schools offer academic programs also.
- These academic programs are designed with the help of well-trained and professional experts in the concerned fields. So that the students can get back on track once their behavioral issues are worked out.
- The majority of therapeutic boarding schools in Texas work through a spiritual approach. Most of the plans rely on Christianity’s principles, including honesty, faith, perseverance, and courage.
- Some of the major therapeutic boarding schools in Texas are:
- Ozark Trails Academy
- Red Hawk Girls Academy
- Thrive Girls Ranch
- Treasure Coast Academy
- Trinity Teen Solutions