What to expect from Cataloochee Ski Area if you are planning to visit this Ski and Ride Center to have an adventure on snow? Cataloochee Ski Area is in South western North Carolina in Maggie Valley. 6000-foot peaks surround this secluded valley, and this mountain is the perfect place to learn skiing, especially if you are a novice.
This area is located within The Great Smoky Mountains National Park, once home to the Appalachian community and Cherokee hunting ground. The Cataloochee Valley is extremely beautiful and visually appealing and was once the most prosperous settlement in what is now the Great Smoky Mountains. The Cataloochee Ski Area is known for skiing, snow tubing, and snowboarding. It is a paradise for skiers, snowboarders, and a visit to this great place in Maggie Valley caters to visitors of all ages and kids.
Cataloochee Ski Area
The best way to revel in the activities of the Cataloochee Ski Area, 1080 Ski Lodge Road, Maggie Valley, NC, is by staying in ski resorts within the ski area so that you can have a fun trip. The Cataloochee experience offers an excellent snowboarding experience, lessons for beginners, and the art of making snow. Lessons are available for all skill levels, and the rental shop is equipped with snow sports equipment and equipment rentals.
There are private and group lessons for beginners, intermediate, and advanced skiers. You can book the private lessons at the center, based on the availability of the slot. The quoted rate will only cover the lesson cost; students should pay extra for the lift ticket and rental shop for equipment.
In group lessons, you will be put together with other skiers who match your same skill set. Kids ages eight and above are eligible for group lessons. Both private classes and group lessons are for a one-hour duration. Cat Tracker lessons are meant for children between the ages of 4-12. It is a good way to teach the kids to navigate the mountains at their own pace and is the perfect tool to teach them confidence. There are fun races and interactive indoor and outdoor activities for kids once they are ready. The entire concept and setting are fun and will make the children love mountains forever.
Snowmaking and skiing give good employment opportunities during winter. Snowmaking relies on nature just as much as snowfall, and Cataloochee Ski Area has advanced snowmaking systems in the Southeast. From the summit of the moody top, you get magnificent views of the surrounding mountains and peaks.
Cataloochee Ski Area Facts
- Early November to late March is the best time to visit the Cataloochee Ski Area if you want to enjoy your skis and have fun on the gentle slopes, and it can get crowded with adults and children wanting to enjoy the Cataloochee Ski Area. Snowmaking is 100 % during this time at the Cataloochee Ski Area.
2. There is a Tube Park in Maggie Valley 4 km away from the Cataloochee Ski Area, and multiple runs are available at the Tube World. Wee Bowl Snowplay Area at the Tube World is for children not meeting the height requirements for tubing on the larger slopes.
3. The rental department has 4000 sets of ski and snowboard equipment and a boot drying system.
4. Slopes and trails vary for beginners, intermediate skiers, and experts. All slopes are well lit for use at night skiing.
- Beginner’s Luck
Easy Way 600 ft.
- Over Easy 400 ft.
- Rabbit Hill 600 ft.
- Turkey Trot 1200 ft.
- Upper Over Easy 400 ft.
- Upper Turkey Trot 400 ft.
Wolf Creek Hollow
- Lower Omigosh 1800 ft.
- Lower Snowbird 1900 ft.
- Rock Island Run 1200 ft.
- Richard’s Run 550 ft.
- Short ‘n Sweet 550 ft.
- Upper Snowbird 1600 ft.
- Wild Cat Glade 550 ft.
- Alley Cat 900 ft.
Cat Cage Terrain Park
- Upper Omigosh 1000 ft.
5. Wednesdays are family days at the Cataloochee Ski Area, and homeschoolers get special rates on lift tickets, rentals, and lessons. Show homeschool credentials at the ticket center while making the booking and avail of the special rates.
6. There are ticketing options for weekdays and weekends, and you can purchase the lift, weekday, and weekend/holiday tickets online. You can book your lift ticket and rentals online at cataloochee.com.
7. Mountain safety is important while you are at the Cataloochee Ski Area so that you have a good Cataloochee experience while you are there. Follow the simple guidelines and rules so that your riding and skiing are done safely.
Cat Cage Terrain Park
Snow is magical and gives visitors an entirely different landscape, and that is what happens when you visit the Cataloochee Ski Area. Snow is snow, and nothing can match the pristine beauty of the winter wonderland. Cat Cage Terrain Park, Maggie Valley, NC 28751, gives a good skiing experience, and snow boarders will enjoy the ski slopes at the Cat Cage Terrain Park.
The Ski Area features a Beginners Park (Turkey Trot) and the Richard’s Run for intermediate and advanced skiers throughout the season.
You can pick up souvenirs from the shop on the mountain to carry back memories of your skiing adventure at the Cataloochee Ski Area. Helmets, goggles, gloves, sunglasses, sweatshirts, T-shirts, and jackets. Lips balms and disposable cameras are also available. They also have mountain clothing rentals.
Jacket rentals and waterproof ski bib overalls are available daily at the mountain shop and the Cataloochee Ski and Sports in Maggie Valley.
Cataloochee Ranch in the Maggie Valley is a good place to stay and access the Cataloochee Ski Area. The nearby Maggie Valley attractions are Maggie Valley Rock Shop and Wheels Through Time Transportation Museum.
There are other ski resorts in this area and a variety of motels, hotels, homes, cabins, and villas for rent to make your stay at Cataloochee comfortable.
In The End
If you plan a trip to the North Carolina side of the Smoky Mountains, you cannot miss Cataloochee, the home of ‘Great Skiing in the Great Smokies.’
If you live near Maggie Valley, make Cataloochee Ski Area your winter tradition. Other than the Cataloochee Ski Area, there are many other exciting things to do at Cataloochee, like camping, fishing, hiking, and wildlife, depending on the time you plan your trip.
If you liked this article, here is something more.
Verified Content by Experts
USA Tales has content written by niche experts, travelers, students, and those with real-life experience. Our content is also periodically reviewed by subject matter experts to ensure content accuracy and relevancy. Have a question? Email us at email@example.com